VolunteerCorps (VC) education programme teaches Mathematics, English and LIFE (Leadership, Information, Finance and Ethics) issues to senior secondary school students in public schools in Lagos and Ogun State. The students attend the weekly Saturday tutoring (while schools are in session) where volunteers from various fields come in to tutor them. These volunteers also serve as role models to the students. This is done every term and starts from 10am-12noon or 12-2pm on environmental Saturdays.
Volunteers are expected to commit to teaching every Saturday throughout the term for an hour minimum. They are expected to be:
Able to impact the students
The tutorial centres are located in Amuwo Odofin, Apapa, Ikeja, Lagos Island, Surulere, and Yaba Local Government Areas (L.G.A.) in Lagos state; and in Obafemi-Owode L.G.A and Owode-Egba at Ogun state.
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: Register at http://volunteers.volunteerinnigeria.org (skip this step if you have registered in the past)
Step 2: Drop us a comment below this post with your name and phone number.
(Comments with personal information will not be published. Please do not leave a comment if you have not registered and be sure to leave a comment after you register)
From the Admin/Communications Team
For: Volunteer in Nigeria
Add us as friend: http://www.facebook.com/naijavolunteers
The Toothbrushing Challenge is a health promotions event culminating in a World Record attempt now slated to hold on July 4th for the greatest number of people brushing their teeth simultaneously in multiple locations. The target is 300,000 people in over 300 locations.
DUTIES OF VOLUNTEERS
- To visit the school you have been assigned to
- To see the nuclear team in each school- the nuclear teacher, the principal, the best 3 science students (or any 3 other students selected by the nuclear teacher)
- To explore, discuss and troubleshoot problems and challenges in each school prior to the record day
- To supervise the bottle collections for the Toothbrushing model, and the pack collection by Close-up, Unilever campaign
- To ensure that a mock version of the record breaking occurs a week before the event using 10 students to demonstrate the record breaking
- To ensure that the electronic devices to be used for counting and recording the adolescents that will be brushing at the various schools 48hrs before the event (July 2nd)
- To revise the brushing model to fit each school’s contexts- paper funnel, connected to dark polystyrene bag (nylon), the collected empty plastic bottles, the toothpaste and toothbrush, and water (to brush with).
- To ensure the Toothbrushing model is working the day before
- To be at your assigned school (or duty post) on time 7:30am on the day of the world record attempt
- To address the students and make sure they understand the start & stop commands for the record breaking attempt and
- To facilitate/ supervise the accreditation or counting and recording process for the participants (students)
- To follow the events of the day based on the program of events going on at the Teslim Balogun stadium
- To ensure the assembly of the students in the toothbrushing position at the assembly grounds/ hall for 5-10 minutes before the start time of the record breaking attempt
- To position the principal and nuclear team to the start-stop commands and time appropriately (1 minute)
- Ensure the proper disposal of the funnel and silage (what would be spat out when the students finish brushing their teeth) in the appropriate LAWMA bags
- Facilitate the removal/ clearance of the LAWMA bags by the LAWMA agent within 12-24hrs of the event
- Ensure the return of the devices to the project office in Lagos-Island within 24hrs of the completion of the project.
- To attend the celebration party of the record-breaking
- To receive your certificate of participation
- To take your picture for the project records
- And write a report on your experience in the project
Interested? Apply here: http://goo.gl/6mK6j