W.TEC is running an After-school Technology Club project. This project is to teach young girls between the ages of 11 and 17 in school practical computer science and technologies. 10 schools have been approved in the Yaba (Lagos) vicinity for the project.
The trainers are to have a 3-day in-house training every first week of the month for the next 6 months and teach the students at the schools every other Wednesday in the month, between the hours of 12 – 4 pm at the schools.
The schools that have been handpicked for this project have computers and internet facilities to make for seamless project implementation.
We are assisting with volunteer recruitment for this cause. The curriculum to be taught will be made available to volunteers. They should be committed to the program and sending an impact report after the 6 months program. The volunteers will have the opportunity of discussing their stipend at the interview. They:
- Must be available to work a minimum of 4 hours per week
• Must be available and willing to commit at least six (6) months initially for an internship.
• Must be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate level degree in a computer related field.
• Minimum of two years of college in a communications or computer related field.
• Proficiency in computer applications:
o Microsoft Excel ,
o Microsoft Word,
o Microsoft Powerpoint,
o Conducting research via internet
• Ability to prioritize tasks and efficiently manage time.
• Ability to exercise good judgment and effectiveness in working with teenage girls
• Strong oral and written communications skills
• Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
• Ability to maintain professional (business casual) dress and grooming.
HOW TO APPLY TO VOLUNTEER
Step 1: Register at http://volunteers.volunteerinnigeria.org (skip this step if you have registered in the past)
Step 2: Drop us a comment below this post with your name and phone number.
(Comments with personal information will not be published. Please do not leave a comment if you have not registered and be sure to leave a comment after you register)
From the Admin/Communications Team
For: Volunteer in Nigeria
Add us as friend: http://www.facebook.com/naijavolunteers
The Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre is a Nigerian non-governmental organization since January 2008, working to encourage Nigerian girls and women to use information and communication technology (ICT) to empower themselves socially and economically. This is done through technology literacy training, technology-based projects, mentoring, work placement and research. W.TEC works in partnership with local and international NGOs, educational and research organizations.
W.TEC / ADOBE Youth Voice 2013 (Create with a Purpose Program) is a Film Production Workshop for secondary school girls.
Description: Workshop Volunteer
Workshop Volunteer Qualities:
- Preferably a lady of age (20- 28)
- Must be a resident of either Lagos Island or Mainland only.
- Must have a passion to working with youth (GIRLS)
- Must be an individual of high integrity
- Must be available 2pm – 6pm, Monday to Friday
Skills and Qualification
- The individual must at least be an Undergraduate or higher
- The individual must be computer savvy
- The individual must have knowledge or experience of film production( taking pictures, shooting films and editing)
- The individual must have an idea of film editing with either Adobe premiere elements or windows film maker.
Workshop Volunteer Job Duties:
- Will work with lead facilitator in conducting training sessions
- Will assist workshop participants with their technical challenges
- Will help lead facilitator with technical computer jobs
- Will help participants with their editing challenges
- Will contribute to training session
- Will facilitate workshops
- Will liaise with school authorities on behalf of W-TEC for various admin issues.
- Could be mobilised to assist with other W.TEC duties within the Workshop period
Please apply using the form below
BEST WAYS TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH OUR UPDATES
1. Follow this blog via email>>>>
2. Join our Facebook group for your state of residence. To find, just type facebook.com/groups/volunteerinnigeria.[state]
Eg. for Lagos: https://www.facebook.com/groups/volunteerinnigeria.lagos/
Not based in Nigeria? Join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/volunteerinnigeria.international/
LIKE our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/volunteerinNigeria