The Skills Outside School Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation registered in Nigeria and the UK. They require volunteers for the bridge project. The Bridge Project is a free employability skill building and career mentoring scheme for bright, disadvantaged and motivated senior secondary school one and two students in Government Secondary Schools in Nigeria. 80 students in total are currently enrolled in the project. The project is deployed as an after-school activity currently in three partner schools and includes skills workshops, career mentoring sessions and competitions.
Start date: January 2016
Duties of volunteers
- Selection of the Participants using the provided set criteria for evaluation
- Coordinating the 5 skills workshops for 20 participants
- Coordinating the mentoring sessions with the participants and writing up a progress report which must be submitted to the Project Coordinator
- Administering the robust skills workshops and mentoring sessions evaluation framework
- Aiding the students brainstorming session for the Inter-School Competition
- Managing the Applications process for external opportunities for the students
- Supervising Monitoring and Evaluation post project end
- The design of the 5 skills workshops – the selection of the techniques to achieve the goals and the steering of group processes.
- Understanding the participants and the workshop content prior to planning the workshop.
- Following a step‐by‐step process to clarify assumptions and focus the workshops on the specific objectives of the sessions.
- Making adjustments to the workshop design—structure and learning activities—as needed for the situation.
- Sharing first‐hand practical experiences with the participants to extend their learning and understanding.
- Leading follow‐up and evaluation of the learning, collecting feedback on the event and tracking learning, during and after the workshop.
- Providing additional examples of concepts and case studies to guide and support participants’ learning.
- Attending the Career Mentoring Open Day and acting as an usher for the event
- A university degree in any field.
- Previous experience in training or facilitating workshops, events, sessions etc. (this could be part time, as an intern, as a volunteer or full time role).
- Presentation – communicating ideas, using visual and other aids, giving feedback, listing skills
- Facilitation – managing activities, eliciting contributions and learning, creative and innovative thinker, ability to create an atmosphere of confidence among participants.
- One-to-one – coaching, counselling, mentoring, advising, assessing.
- Consultancy – investigating, advising, evaluating.
- Design – designing activities, e-literate, knowledge of group development, including the ability to sense a group’s mood and change methods or adjust the program on the spot.
- Interpersonal – building relationships, ability to handle conflict, trust in other people and their capacities, respect for the opinions of others, does not impose ideas on others, adaptable.
- Assertiveness – confidence, challenging and supporting.
- Expertise and Interest – knowledgeable, insightful, up to date, enthusiastic about being a trainer.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in cloud software applications (Skydrive, DropBox, Google Docs).
Time Commitment: 4 HOURS A WEEK (MINIMUM), 8-10 HOURS A WEEK (MAXIMUM); REQUIRED BETWEEN 1.30-4.30PM ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS
Remuneration/Salary: NONE BUT STIPENDS TO COVER LOGISTICS, DATA ALLOWANCE AND CREDIT AND REFRESHMENTS COVERED
Location: The target schools are at Jabi, Wuse Zone 3, Karu, Garki, and Gwarimpa-all at Abuja, Nigeria. ONLY VOLUNTEERS BASED AT ABUJA SHOULD INDICATE INTEREST.
HOW TO INDICATE INTEREST TO VOLUNTEER
Step 1: Register at http://volunteers.volunteerinnigeria.org (skip this step if you have registered in the past)
Step 2: Drop us a comment below this post with your name and active phone number and email address. You will then receive a mail.
(Comments with personal information will not be published. Please do not leave a comment if you have not registered and be sure to leave a comment on this page after you register)
From the Admin/Communications Team
For: Volunteer in Nigeria
Register here: http://volunteers.volunteerinnigeria.org
Our #IVD2014 project: http://volunteerinnigeria.org/ivd2014