The Skills Outside School Foundation is a registered not-for-profit in Nigeria (IT73040) and the UK (09365183) providing employability skills training, career mentoring and development, education building services and scholarship opportunities to disadvantaged youth at secondary and tertiary level in Nigeria.
Volunteer Trainer (Headstart)
PRIMARY DUTIES OF VOLUNTEER TRAINER
- Selection of the Participants
- Coordinating the 7 skills workshops for the participants
- Coordinating the career development journey of the participants
- Writing a progress report which must be submitted to the Program Officer
- Administering the robust skills workshops and career and education workshop evaluation framework
- Managing the Applications process for external opportunities for the students
- Facilitating the Business challenge workshop
SECONDARY DUTIES OF VOLUNTEER TRAINER
- The design of the skills workshops – the selection of the techniques to achieve the goals and the steering of group processes
- Understanding the participants and the workshop content prior to planning the workshop
- Following a step‐by‐step process to clarify assumptions and focus the workshops on the specific objectives of the sessions
- Making adjustments to the workshop design—structure and learning activities—as needed for the situation
- Sharing first‐hand practical experiences with the participants to extend their learning and understanding
- Leading follow‐up and evaluation of the learning, collecting feedback on the event and tracking learning, during and after the workshop
- Providing additional examples of concepts and case studies to guide and support participants’ learning
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Program Manager (Headstart)
TIME COMMITMENT OF VOLUNTEER POSITION:
- 8 HOURS A WEEK (MINIMUM)
- 12 HOURS A WEEK (MAXIMUM)
- SATURDAYS ONLY, REQUIRED BETWEEN 9.00AM-5.00PM (FULL DAY)
- EVERY WEEK FOR THREE-FOUR WEEKS
LOCATION(S) FOR THE VOLUNTEER POSITION
Trainers will be assigned to schools based on proximity to the location and days of preference
- Presentation – communicating ideas, using visual and other aids, giving feedback, listing skills
- Facilitation – managing activities, eliciting contributions and learning, creative and innovative thinker, ability to create an atmosphere of confidence among participants.
- One-to-one – coaching, counseling, mentoring, advising, assessing
- Consultancy – investigating, advising, evaluating
- Design – designing activities, e-literate, knowledge of group development, including the ability to sense a group’s mood and change methods or adjust the program on the spot.
- Interpersonal – building relationships, ability to handle conflict, trust in other people and their capacities, respect for the opinions of others, does not impose ideas on others, adaptable.
- Assertiveness – confidence, challenging and supporting.
- Expertise and Interest – knowledgeable, insightful, up to date, enthusiastic about being a trainer.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Proficiency in cloud software applications (Skydrive, DropBox, Google Docs)
- A university degree in any field
- Previous experience in training or facilitating workshops, sessions etc. This could be part time, as an intern, as a volunteer or full time.
HOW TO INDICATE INTEREST TO VOLUNTEER
Step 1: Read the post requirements above carefully, taking note of the location
Step 2: Make sure you are resident in the state where the opening exists
Step 3: If you are fully available and interested, kindly register at http://volunteers.volunteerinnigeria.org (skip this step if you have registered in the past)
Step 4: Drop us a comment below this post (NOT the registration page) with your name, active phone number, active email address.
NOTE: Your comments with personal information will not be published. Please do not leave a comment if you have not registered and be sure to leave a comment on this very page with the opening announcement after you register. We close recruitment in about a week or two. Therefore, your comment needs to come in (and follow the guidelines above) before then to be considered. Thank you!