Here are the latest openings at Skills outside School Foundation for those based in Abuja:
- VOLUNTEER MEDIA & RESEARCH OFFICER
The Volunteer Media & Research Officer would find and develop relevant content for our social media platforms, monitor engagement on our social media platforms, develop and implement innovative online campaigns, write and publish press releases, feature the foundation on radio and other broadcasting platforms, design and develop email newsletters, and conduct research on the foundations activities.
If you are ambitious, have experience with social media for business, print media and are passionate about it, this is the position for you. You will learn the ins and outs of the organization to assist in making social media a productive part of our overall marketing efforts.
You must be able to think strategically and see how social media fits into the organization’s marketing strategy, not just telling our followers, but building long-lasting relationships by providing value to them. Volunteers must be able to assist in formulating social media plans (once ample information is provided to you), and then carry them out (with our assistance). You must be able to measure and document the impact of social media, and then suggest action-steps to increase impact.
Duties and responsibilities
- Social Media
- Updating and monitoring engagements on the foundations social media platforms
- Finding and developing relevant content of interest to our audience
- Tracking traffic to social media platforms and sending reports to the board on a monthly basis
- Developing interactive and innovative online campaigns, contests and competitions
- Archiving social media content and press releases
- Developing video podcasts with key research information and data for the website
- Create and maintain a content editorial calendar
- Uploading videos, photo albums, etc.
- Finding users to follow/friend/like our business
- Writing and posting blog posts/tweets/updates, etc. 2 – 5 updates each week
- Tracking the growth and the impact of social media on our organization
- Replying to comments, messages, etc.
II. Print Media
- Writing press releases for publishing in newspapers and online blogs/websites
- Securing radio stations to advertise the foundations’ activities
III. Email Newsletters
- Designing and updating email newsletters sent to members and other stakeholders
IV. Research on education, employability, unemployment, entrepreneurship, skills training and relevant legislation for updates to the foundations resource section and podcasts
Information about the role
- Estimated hours required per week: 5-12 hours a week
- The estimated duration of the role is12 months
- This position is Virtual. However, the officer will be required to attend team meetings and attend the organisations events including the Career Mentoring Open Day and the Inter-School Competition as well as skills workshops in Abuja.
- The position is unpaid. This is with the intention of converting the Media and Research Officer into a full time staff upon satisfactory confirmation of performance throughout the period.
Required Skills and Experience
- Writing Skills
- Research Skills
- Excellent understanding of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google+, Instagram, blogs)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products, possesses functional knowledge or some experience with HTML/CSS
- Excellent written and verbal communication, strong editing skills and an ability to work individually on a project or in a team environment
- Be creative with an eye for design
- Ability to develop a detailed and professional marketing plan
- Knowledge of digital media software – Photoshop or other graphic design software, etc. is preferred
- Knowledge of video editing software – iMovie, Final Cut, or Windows Live Movie Maker is a plus
- Energy, with a desire to come up with fresh ideas on how to grow our online presence
- Ability to identify a target market and “speak” to that consumer through social media
- Experience proofreading and editing
- Ability to contribute individually, and participate in cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to map out a marketing strategy and then drive that strategy proven by testing and metrics
- Is self-directed, eager to meet and exceed objectives, and excited to take on more responsibility
- Brings to the position organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Passionate about technology and innovation
- Good understanding of different industries and how they leverage social media for their needs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 1-3 years of experience in multichannel content creation including print media (newspapers & radio)
- Experience with independently managing several social media platforms
- Experience with writing creative and well-researched pieces on a variety of issues (especially on education)
- Creative self-starter who can work independently or on a team
- Organized, ability to work independently, deadline driven, and able to manage multiple projects and engagements simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail
Desired Skills and Experience
- Graphic Design skills
- Blog design skills
- VOLUNTEER TRAINERS FOR THE HEADSTART PROJECT
|The HEADSTART project is an educational support and career development project aimed at getting secondary students prepared for the tertiary education system and the entirety of their career phase by enriching them with the skills and tools to manage the demands of the present age tertiary institutions and the labour market.
The target beneficiaries are Senior Secondary Two to Three students. Each class cohort is a maximum of 20 students. The senior secondary school two to three students who enroll on the project will be taken through various stages of training both theoretically and by practical demonstration on skills and personal development initiatives that will empower them to successfully finish their secondary education, prepare them for tertiary education and make them fully endowed personnel in their chosen field of study/career of interest and/or empower them to be employers of labour.
The HEADSTART project will commence with a recruitment for student participants in December 2015. Registration and confirmation of places are expected to be completed in January 2016 with sessions commencing in the second week of January 2016. The duration of the program is 2 months between January and end of February 2016 with the option for a summer workshop commencing in July 2016
See details of a similar role here
HOW TO INDICATE INTEREST TO VOLUNTEER
Step 1: Register at http://volunteers.volunteerinnigeria.org (skip this step if you have registered in the past)
Step 2: Drop us a comment below this post with your name, active phone number, position interested in, and active email address.
(Comments with personal information will not be published. Please do not leave a comment if you have not registered and be sure to leave a comment on this page after you register)
From the Admin/Communications Team
For: Volunteer in Nigeria
Register here: http://volunteers.volunteerinnigeria.org
Our #IVD2014 project: http://volunteerinnigeria.org/ivd2014