The Skills Outside School Foundation founded in June 2014 is a not-for-profit organisation domiciled in Nigeria with registered number RC70340. The Foundations’ partners/sponsors are: Root2Fruit, Career Solutions Africa, Nigerian Breweries Plc, Volunteer in Nigeria, FCT Secondary Education Board, FCT Agency for Science and Technology, Alpha Praxis Nigeria Limited, Yaliam Press Limited, White Eagle Productions and Citizenship and Leadership Centre.
They require volunteer trainers for the Bridge Project, an employability skill building and mentoring scheme for bright and motivated senior secondary school students in Government Secondary Schools in Abuja. The pilot phase was executed with Government Secondary School Jabi and Wuse Zone 3 with 20 students in SS1 and SS2 between February and May 2014. A Career Mentoring Open Day on the 28th May 2014 provided a platform through breakout sessions for 25 professional mentors in various industries to interact with the 20 participants.
The skill building aspect of the project develops 5 competencies– leadership, teamwork, communication, problem solving and commercial awareness through a range of activities. The mentoring aspect allows the participants to embark on mapping out their future educational and career paths through the development of their customized Personal Development Plan which incorporates planning, reflection and action towards their future personal and professional development.
START DATE: JANUARY 2015
DUTIES OF VOLUNTEER TRAINER:
- Selection of the 60 Participants using the provided set criteria for evaluation
- Coordinating the 5skills workshops for 20 participants
- Coordinating the mentoring sessions with the participantsand writing up a progress report which must be submitted to the Project Coordinator
- Administering the robust skills workshops and mentoring sessionsevaluation framework
- Aiding the students brainstorming session for the Inter-School Competition in June 2015.
Other duties include:
- The design of the 5 skills workshops – the selection of the techniques to achieve the goals and the steering of group processes.
- Understanding the participants and the workshop content prior to planning the workshop.
- Following a step‐by‐step process to clarify assumptions and focus the workshops on the specific objectives of the sessions.
- Making adjustments to the workshop design—structure and learning activities—as needed for the situation.
- Sharing first‐hand practical experiences with the participants to extend their learning and understanding.
- Leading follow‐up and evaluation of the learning, collecting feedback on the event and tracking learning, during andafter the workshop.
- Providing additional examples of concepts and case studies to guide and support participants’ learning.
- Attending the Career Mentoring Open Day and acting as an usher for the event in May 2015.
- GOVERNMENT SECONDARY SCHOOL, JABI, ABUJA.
- GOVERNMENT SECONDARY SCHOOL, WUSE ZONE 3, ABUJA.
- GOVERNMENT SECONDARY SCHOOL, GARKI, ABUJA.
The trainer will be assigned a school based on preference and proximity to the location.
- Presentation – communicating ideas, using visual and other aids, giving feedback, listing skills
- Facilitation – managing activities, eliciting contributions and learning, creative and innovative thinker, ability to create an atmosphere of confidence among participants.
- One-to-one – coaching, counselling, mentoring, advising, assessing.
- Consultancy – investigating, advising, evaluating.
- Design – designing activities, e-literate, knowledge of group development, including the ability to sense a group’s mood and change methods or adjust the program on the spot.
- Interpersonal – building relationships, ability to handle conflict, trust in other people and their capacities, respect for the opinions of others, does not impose ideas on others, adaptable.
- Assertiveness – confidence, challenging and supporting.
- Expertise and Interest – knowledgeable, insightful, up to date, enthusiastic about being a trainer.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in cloud software applications (Skydrive, DropBox, Google Docs).
- A university degree in any field.
- Previous experience in training or facilitating workshops, events, sessions etc. (this could be part time, as an intern, as a volunteer or full time role).
HOW TO APPLY?
Step 1: Register at http://volunteers.volunteerinnigeria.org (skip this step if you have registered in the past)
Step 2: Drop us a comment below this post with your name and phone number.
(Comments with personal information will not be published. Please do not leave a comment if you have not registered and be sure to leave a comment after you register)